The Sheikh Faisal Bin Qassim Al Thani Museum as we know today is the result of the enduring passion of a man to preserve and spread cultures of the world alongside his own. Sheikh Faisal’s enthusiasm for collecting initially manifested itself as a private collection in his majlis (Arab gathering space). Through collecting, Sheikh Faisal sought to preserve elements of cultural heritage and ultimately share them with the public, his rapidly growing collection soon became too large to be housed in a private setting.
In a grand fort at Al Samriya Farm with a breath-taking exterior. Built of local stone with traditional turrets, the building is in itself a collector’s piece in contrast with Qatarâ€™s developing landscape. Envisaged by Sheikh Faisal and purpose-built to preserve and display the extraordinary collection, the museum design is particularly dedicated to upholding and promoting Islamic heritage.Born in 1948 in Doha, Sheikh Faisal Bin Qassim Al Thani is both a pioneer in the cultural world and one of the Middle East’s most influential business leaders. His passion and dedication to collecting art and artefacts of international significance have been stimulated by his travels undertaken to build his immensely successful business conglomerate, Al-Faisal Holding.
- LIC announces sale of Formula 1 early bird tickets
- Qatar announces success of ongoing mediation efforts to reunify Ukrainian children with their families
- Qatar Airways launches fan packages for Formula 1
- Qatari aircraft arrives in the city of Kilimanjaro carrying aid for those affected by floods in Tanzania
- Souq Waqif’s honey exhibition extended for two more days